Graduate Studies

Absences, Conferences and Summer Internships

Please review the Protocol for Graduate Student Travel Abroad.

All leaves-of-absence on the part of scholarship recipients, including for vacation and other travel not supported through the Technion, must be officially approved (through completing a Request for absence from Technion for Scholarship Recipients form, available here).

Once you have obtained all of the relevant signatures, your form will be passed on for approval and will be returned to you, signed by the dean of the graduate school.

If you will be requesting reimbursement for your trip, please attach an Application for Approval to Travel Abroad form and note the funding sources for the trip, including the departmental contribution, if any (see the information immediately following). Please secure your advisor’s signature for his/her portion of the funding.

Update – Winter 2020-2021
Please note that the department will make one yearly contribution of up to 200$ toward travel expenses for students presenting a paper or a poster. Each student will be eligible for one yearly contribution for presenting one paper/poster in a conference (once per academic year).

Information regarding the utilization of the International Science Liaison Fund (for PhD students) and funding through scholarships and awards, is detailed in the travel procedure protocol. For more information and inquiries, contact Daniel.

When submitting your travel request, please be sure to include all of the relevant forms:

  • – Signed “Request for absence from Technion for scholarship recipients” form
  • – Application for Approval to Travel Abroad
  • – Letter from your advisor endorsing your trip
  • – The first page of your paper
  • – Conference invitation
  • – Application to use funding through International Science Liason Fund (if relevant)

Please submit all paperwork to the graduate studies coordinator roughly a month before your trip.

Graduate School Contribution: You may submit a request for funding from the graduate school after getting approved from travel by the Executive Vice President for Research’s office (that is, retroactively).
Further information is available on the graduate school’s website.

Summer Internships

Students wishing to take on summer internships elsewhere must complete a “Request for absence from Technion for scholarship recipients”  and attach a letter outlining the objectives of the internship with the advisor’s recommendation on it.

The letter should explicitly note whether you wish to freeze the scholarship during the course of your internship.
Please note that during August and September, there is no tuition charge. If your summer internship runs into July or October, and if it is related to your research field, you can request tuition exemption for these moths as well. Please include your advisor’s signature on the request.

When you have completed your internship and returned to study at the Technion, please offer official notification of your return through an e-mail to the graduate studies coordinator.

Please note that some scholarships and awards require a 12-month scholarship in the academic year. This means that going on a summer internship that includes the month of October may prevent you from being eligible to apply for these scholarships and awards.

Computer Science Department, Technion, Graduate Studies, Limor Gindin: +972 4 8294226 email